August 26, 2012

Painting

Unlike Diane and Maia, my weekend was not spent having fun. It was another boat chore weekend.

Saturday:
Australia sometimes frustrates.  Today I was going to put on epoxy primer.  Did some sanding, went for dinghy gas, did the laundry, and then decided to find some foam rollers (my work week was so busy it rather prevented me from shopping during work day).

So I do some calling and lots of online research:
local Dulux Trade big paint store. No. Well maybe - guy isn't sure what I'm talking about. I tell him I'll stop in a bit later. 
Mitre 10 local hardware store. No. 
Whitworths Chandlery. Not in online catalog or paper catalog.  
 
So Dulux it is.  Get there by bus but the store is closed.  It's open on Saturday from 7:30 to 10:15 am. That's it.  Also closes at 3:45 pm on Fridays.  You know, so you don't have to work too late if you're a pro painter.  Might have been nice if the guy had told me of their unusual closing hours. Sigh.

So I decide to go to Whitworth's anyway because it's only a 15 minute walk.  Surprise! they do have the proper type of foam rollers.  At $6 each. But what choice do I have?

There's a bus stop right outside the store.  Bus is coming in just 10 minutes! Great (because on Saturday's they tend to run every 45 minutes or more).  I wait. And wait.  15 minutes after it's due I give up and walk back to Wickham to get a regular bus.  So my short errand took about 2 hours I think.  By the time I returned it was too late in the day to paint (not enough curing time/temperatures)

Sunday was more sanding/taping/wiping/inhaling solvent fumes (accidently - I use a very good respirator mask with nice brand new cartridges).  But I did get some epoxy primer paint on.  I had to hurry because friends were coming to pick me up to go to a BBQ.  
 
Rush rush, paint paint.  Tell the cat not to walk on the fresh paint. He didn't listen:





1 comment:

CS Phillips said...

Getting ready to start our own journey. Just opened a sailblog, looking for any advice on boat types and gear.
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/www.lostourmarbles.com/

thanks!